Sunday, August 2, 2020

My Giller Shortlist Predictions with Reading Envy


In July I had a conversation with Jenny Colvin on her Reading Envy podcast, talking about three books that wowed me. I believe all three deserve to be on the Giller shortlist. Jenny spoke about two great books she had recently read, including one that is eligible for the Giller. 

You can find a link to this episode on the Reading Envy website. If you aren't already subscribed to Jenny's podcast, you might decide to do so after hearing her lovely voice and thoughtful consideration of the books she reads.

Books I talked about: Polar Vortex by Shani Mootoo; The Subtweet by Vivek Shraya; and How to Pronounce Knife by Souvankham Thammavongsa. Books Jenny talked about: Daughters of Smoke and Fire by Ava Homa (also eligible for the Giller) and Girl, Serpent, Thorn by Melissa Bashardoust.

-----------
This post is part of a series. I'm on the Shadow Giller jury this year, so I'm reading as many qualifying Canadian titles as possible in order to come up with my own longlist prediction before the official one that will be announced on September 8, 2020. To see my other reviews that are a part of this project, click on the Shadow Giller tag. Also, please visit our Shadowing the Best of CanLit website to see what the rest of the Shadow Giller jury are up to. Thanks for visiting my blog.

No comments: