Monday, April 26, 2021

Poetry Books for All Ages

April is Poetry Month, so here are a couple of recommendations that can be enjoyed by all ages:


The Lost Spells by Robert Macfarlane and Jackie Morris

Everything about this book is a joy: the small format, gorgeous endpapers, wordplay nature poetry, and, best of all, every page is ornamented with watercolour artwork by Jackie Morris. If you loved the first book by Macfarlane and Morris, The Lost Words, then you will surely enjoy this “little sister.”

I am your double,
your ghost, your other,
The spirit of wild,
the spirit of weather,
Red is my fur and
red is my art,
And red is the blood
of your animal heart.
----------
King of the chimney-stack,
the belfry bivouac,
bright-eyed steeplejack,
from church-tower to tarmac,
giving it the snicker-snack!

The Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge

I've loved this classic poem since I was a kid and lines like: “Water, water everywhere, but not a drop to drink" often come back to me. My neighbour recently lent me her copy that reproduces Gustave DorĂ©‘s lithographs in their original size (9 X 12 inches) and it‘s a treat. The drama and pathos are emphasized by the illustrations. 

The moving Moon went up the sky,
And nowhere did abide:
Softly she was going up,
And a star or two beside—

No comments: