I've only got good things to say about The Expats:
- It's a first novel, which in itself is an attraction for readers like me who like novelty.
- The plot is enjoyably twisty.
- The narrative flips back and forth in time, with convenient font changes to keep present-day Paris separate from two years earlier in Luxembourg.
- There are enough details of daily life in a foreign country to feed my appetite for travel writing.
- The children are never in danger.
- The open-ending is of the sort that concludes the main storyline while leaving lots of room for imagining what might come next.