Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Wife's Tale by Lori Lansens

Mary Gooch swore she would kill herself if she ever got over 300 pounds. It happens. She doesn't. On the eve of their 25th wedding anniversary, Mary's husband disappears. Her adventure begins when she decides to go looking for him, leaving her hermit-like existence in tiny Leaford, Ontario and travelling to Los Angeles. She discovers much about herself, not least of which is courage. I liked Mary very much, rooting for her all the way.

It is a good thing that I chose this book based on positive reviews because I never would have picked it up based on the cover. The Canadian edition shows an empty box of chocolates; it screams chick lit. I read it in one day, but did not feel like I had overindulged. The story is supremely satisfying, leaving some leftovers to chew on another day.

No comments: