Wednesday, May 31, 2023

May 2023 Reading Stats and Booktube Uploads

 

Best books in May (in alphabetical order):

Bandit Queens by Parini Shroff

Clearing the Plains: Disease, Politics of Starvation and the Loss of Aboriginal Life by James Daschuk; audiobook read by JD Nicholsen

Firewater: How Alcohol Is Killing My People (and Yours) by Harold R Johnson; audiobook read by Kairyn Potts

Knife on Snow by Alice Major

Monstress Book 1 (Issues 1-18) by Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda

My Fourth Time, We Drowned: Seeking Refuge on the World's Deadliest Migration Route by Sally Hayden; audiobook read by Aoife McMahon

My Rainbow by Trinity Neal, DeShanna Neal and Art Twink

Old Herbaceous: A Novel of the Garden by Reginald Arkell

Osebol by Marit Kapla

Varjak Paw by SF Said

Wild & Precious: A Celebration of Mary Oliver; audiobook read by Sophia Bush and others

Wild Geese by Martha Ostenso

Your Driver Is Waiting by Priya Guns

---------------------------------------------------
May readathons on booktube:

Mental Health May
    I read 8 books in which mental health was an important element: Any Other City (PTSD; suicide); Jade Is a Twisted Green (suicide; anxiety); My Fourth Time, We Drowned (depression; PTSD; assorted other mental illnesses); Wild & Precious (suicide; various mental health issues); Wild Geese (CTSD); X-Gender (OCD); Your Brain on Art (various mental health issues); Your Driver Is Waiting (situational depression)
May of the Moderns
    I read 1: Wild Geese. (I thought Old Herbaceous would fall into this category too, but it wasn't published until 1950.)
Misery May (Thomas Hardy readathon)    
    The Return of the Native
Read Across Canada Challenge: 
   Ontario - Jade Is a Twisted Green
    Manitoba (catching up from April) - Wild Geese
Asian Heritage Month
    I read 6: Bandit Queens; Carmilla; Monstress; Varjak Paw; X-Gender; Your Driver Is Waiting
Book Naturalists Book Club - X (fail)
    Anything by Sonia Shah - I planned to listen to The Next Great Migration but didn't get to it yet
---------------------------------------------------
My goal to read more from my own shelves:
    I read 8 (5 were acquired in 2023)
---------------------------------------------------

Booktube uploads:













No comments: