These comics are funny and smart. As proof, I'm going to note just a few of the side jokes that can be found outside of the main action in the first bound paperback volume - Ms Marvel: No Normal - by writer G. Willow Wilson and artist Adrian Alphona.
- Mr Khan reads a newspaper with the headline: "Tax on Color Orange Approved."
- Kamala eats "GM-O's Tasty Cereal" for breakfast in Issue 3 - the same product that was advertised in the paper her father read in Issue 1. The side of the box says: "Listen to your gut not the lawsuits."
- A bookstore window shows a new release: "The Ur-Do's and Ur-don'ts of Chillin in Pakistan."
- Magazines at the Circle Q corner store include: Asian Wedding Leftovers; The Joy of Cooking Rare Animals; Superhero Paparazzi; and Dropkick Enthusiast.
- There's a cleaver stuck in a parking meter.
- News report: "High school cannibalism experiment proves disastrous."
- A bystander exclaims (with shades of Lumberjanes), "Holy Sriracha!"
|photo credit: Street Cred - Advertising for the People|
There are so many more. And that's on top of the great plotting and character development. I love Ms Marvel so much!
Readalikes: Starling (Sage Stossel); and The Adventures of Superhero Girl (Faith Erin Hicks).
Note added Jan 28 2015: Ms Marvel fights bigotry in real life on San Francisco transit vehicles. See feministing and Street Cred.