Saturday, July 14, 2012

Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson

Jenny Lawson has such severe triskaidekaphobia that I thought it was best to wait until today, instead of Friday the 13th, to write about her irreverent memoir, Let's Pretend This Never Happened. I listened to the Penguin audiobook [8.5 hours], which is read by the author.

Lawson is a born exaggerator, oops, I mean storyteller. I felt thoroughly entertained. Also grateful that I could stop listening whenever I had enough, because this gal is over-the-top intense. I think the word 'vagina' comes up even more often than in a performance of The Vagina Monologues. And since I'm bringing up the subject of Lawson's favourite words, I should note that she says 'fucking' a lot. Actually, it sounds more like 'fuckink.' Lawson has a quirky way of pronouncing a final 'g' as a 'k' -- i.e. "a healthier version of carbon monoxide poisonink" -- which somehow made everything even funnier for me.

Lawson says her small town Texas school yearbook photos document "my mother's decade-long obsession with handmade prairie dresses and sunbonnets, an obsession that led my sister and me to spend the eighties lookng like the lesbian love children of Laura Ingalls and Holly Hobbie. It was a look that screamed ask me about being a sister wife." She grew up to be one of a kind, however. Check out her blog, The Bloggess, and you'll know exactly what I mean.

A stuffed mouse that Lawson has named Hamlet von Schnitzel is featured on the cover of her book as well as in the book trailer that you can view here. In honour of Lawson's love for taxidermy animals dressed in clothes, I'm including a few photos I took of dioramas at Torrington's Gopher Hole Museum, an unusual tourist attraction in central Alberta. I'm sure Lawson would love the place.

Stuffed ground squirrels at Torrington Gopher Hole Museum
Readalikes: Bossypants (Tina Fey); Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight (Alexandra Fuller); I Was Told There'd Be Cake (Sloane Crossley) and Hypocrite in a Pouffy White Dress (Susan Jane Gilman).
Ground squirrel hunting at Torrington Gopher Hole Museum

No comments: