Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Slow Fix by Ivan E. Coyote

Ivan Coyote is a storyteller who was raised in the Yukon and now lives in Vancouver. This is her 4th collection of short stories... or should I say "his"? Ivan addresses this question in the piece titled "Imagine a Pair of Boots."

"I have always felt this way about gender pronouns, that 'she' pinches a little and 'he' slips off me too easily. I'm often asked by well-intentioned people which pronoun I prefer, and I always say the same thing: that I don't really have a preference, that neither pronoun really fits, but thank you for asking, all the same. Then I tell them they can call it like they see it, or mix it up a little if they wish."

The stories may be familiar to you if you are a regular reader of Xtra! West, since earlier versions appeared in Coyote's Loose End column. They are always good for a chuckle and certainly worth reading more than once. Check out the Xtra website and do a search for her name, if you want a sample. And watch for your next opportunity to hear him live, which is a huge treat.

No comments: