Saturday, April 4, 2009

Milk: The Surprising Story of Milk Through the Ages by Anne Mendelson

Part history and part cookbook, Mendelson's work grew out of a lifelong love for milk and fresh dairy products. She would probably enjoy comparing tasting notes with Lucy Knisley (see previous post, French Milk.) I'm a fan of dairy too, even though I never drink milk straight. Instead, give me kefir, yogurt, butter and every kind of cheese... One of the best foods I tasted in New Zealand was thick fresh cream that tasted of barnyard - in the best possible way. The butter there is so yellow that it is obvious that the cows are eating grass and not grain.

Learn all kinds of interesting stuff and then turn to the recipes to get creative in the kitchen. I can recommend the directions for making paneer, an Indian cheese. I was so happy with the results that I've done it twice. It's so easy! The hardest part is obtaining non-homogenized milk. Mendelson is hopeful that consumer demand will make quality dairy products readily available in the near future. I hope so too.

No comments: